Wednesday 27 February 2008

Soliloquy from 'Romeo & juliet' (my version of...)

The universe, spectacularly aligned to seal my fate!
Pierced by longing, like a worm boring through a heart content,
now the dull throb of a once-sprained leg
which no hands can restore to vigour.

A hunger growing, cancerous, expanding,
replacing healthy tissue with emptiness -
nay, not inactive emptiness but active yearning,
searing longing for that which the Gods deny me!

Why I? The hail of each sore with life -
why this flesh so cursed and tortured must be?
What folly shall I have raised?
What immortal displeasure have I incurred,
that I must suffer and writhe in the agony of my remaining?

And why she?
Can Gods not be patient too,
but missing her, they invest their omnipotence in theiving souls
too soon from this world,
an angelic pilgrim torn from the bosom of natives,
who cry with arms raised, "Return her here!"

Why must she tatse the wine of untimely ends?
Why she, be so tortured and wanting of esteem
that such apothecary only solace could lend?
What cause, great Gods, be so urgent as her theft can fulfil,
while earth moans and souls die at her demise?

And less of Gods, yet what of I, my soul
or the ash that remains,
whose lifeless, greying mass no form entrusts?
Is life henceforth?
Can breath hold true, for seems me, there is less air tonight.
Was ever point or sense or cause
to wage the ongoing war of continuance,
when ere was joy and laughter sweet as birdsong,
now gives way to the thundering quietness of loneliness.

These lips I press once more 'gainst mine.
Erst pink as roses, now bilberry blue
and icicles on a face -
how swiftly life is sucked away through those fading eyes
as death takes on life breathing its silence
into once reverberating lung.

Sweet Juliet, in my heart already wife,
now distant, tragic torn from this scene,
make space for me where torment no longer grinds.
With wide arms greet me, with flowing hair as branches on a spring bough
welcome me,
sweet Juliet.

My steel so cold, uncaring here,
will bring me to you.
Arise, oh love of my heart,
take place again with your love,
as rising again from the flame,
love lives again
and in dying, love is born again
on wings of eternity -
on bright bounteous wings
together we at last shall fly!

2 comments:

Andy said...

Hi Richard - this is just beautiful - really enjoyable to read! Please tell us more about how this came about. Does it correspond to a particular soliloquy in the play? Have you written more stuff like this? It's a very particular style, and not easy to write as eloquently as you have.

BTW, I was really excited to hear about your new course! I hope we'll get to see more of the fruits of your creativity here on your blog, perhaps! :) You've inspired me - I should post some of my stuff up!

Richard Cook said...

You definitely should! And thank you for your kind comments, Andrew - very scary to start revealing it to the public!

I just started off writing one of my 'daily exercises', and it just flowed straight out with very few adjustments. I always loved the play as a teenager, and was struck by the incredible feeling the two felt for each other, and by the seemingly hopeless situation they were in. I tried to imagine how Romeo must have felt to meet his Juliet in the church, only to find she had killed herself. What heartache that must have left behind! It's not based on any part of the play as such, I just wrote what I would have written there if it were me writing the play.

Really glad you liked it!